Unattended candle likely cause of Juneau fire

Nov 15, 2012 -- 11:40am


- JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) - An unattended candle is the likely cause of a fire that destroyed a large apartment building in downtown Juneau. Fire Marshal Denel Jager says a tenant living on the fourth floor of the Gastineau Apartments left a candle unattended in a bedroom Nov. 5. The Juneau Empire reports the fire started on the floor and spread to a bed. The tenant returned to the apartment after being gone a short time and found the fire, which consumed the top floor of the building. Jager says the fire doesn't appear to be a case of arson. About 50 residents have been displaced by the fire. Five people were treated for smoke inhalation and a firefighter suffered a concussion. The building was condemned the next day. 

Return to: KFQD News Blog

Breaking News


Copyright © KFQD AM/FM. All Rights Reserved. Internet Development by Triton Digital Media.