Quick-thinking children extinguish kitchen fire

Aug 13, 2013 -- 10:45am
- JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) - A Juneau girl and brother were rewarded with a ride in a fire truck for their quick thinking in putting out a kitchen fire.  The Juneau Empire reports 12-year-old Brianna Jokerst accidentally started the fire last week when she tried to boil water for pasta but instead turned on a burner under a food processor. The appliance ignited but Brianna kept her cool. She ordered her 9-year-old brother Brandon to spray the food processor with a fire extinguisher as she called 911. Brandon says he was freaked out by the flames but prepared. He had read instructions on the extinguisher and knew how to use it. He put out the fire before firefighters arrived. Fire Marshal Dan Jager says the children did exactly the right thing.

Return to: KFQD News Blog

Breaking News

WEATHER

Copyright © KFQD AM/FM. All Rights Reserved. Internet Development by Triton Digital Media.